1. Why is hiring an interior designer is important?
Interior design, as defined by CIDQ, encompasses the analysis, planning, design, documentation, and management of interior non-structural/non-seismic construction and alteration projects in compliance with applicable building design and construction, fire, life-safety, and energy codes, standards, regulations, and guidelines for the purpose of obtaining a building permit, as allowed by law.
Qualified by means of education, experience, and examination, interior designers have a moral and ethical responsibility to protect consumers and occupants through the design of code-compliant, accessible, and inclusive interior environments that address well-being, while considering the complex physical, mental, and emotional needs of people.
It is important to note that interior designers will decorate, but a decorator does not design.
2. What is a "Certified Master Kitchen & Bath Designer"?
A Certified Master Kitchen & Bath Designer is a professional qualification of the [NKBA] with a minimum CKBD appelation. Certified Master Kitchen & Bath Designers are highly skilled specialists who participate in the education of the industry as a whole with a minimum of 7 years of full-time work experience with a minimum Undergraduate Degree education. A professional that sells cabinetry & countertops is a Design Specialist for those products and not a professional kitchen & bath designer.
3. What do you offer?
- Full-Service Interior Design
- Whole or Partial Renovation Design
- Condominium Renovation Design
- New Build Interior Design
- Kitchen & Bath Design
- Power and Lighting Planning
- Built-to-order Custom Cabinetry
- Furniture and Accessories
- Space Planning
- Floor Coverings and Rugs
- Window Coverings
- Window Treatments
- Decorative Lighting Fixtures
- Decorative Plumbing Fixtures
- Accessable Design
- Sustainable Design
4. How long does your design process take?
It's impossible to tell exactly how long the design process will take because each client and project has a different set of parameters and budget. Every project and client are different, so it is impossible to determine how long the design or construction will take. Typcial timelines for each of our phases are below:
- Phase 1: Discovery - Typcially 2 weeks
- Phase 2: Conceptual Design - Typcially 6 weeks to 8 weeks
- Phase 3: Design Execution - Typically 4 weeks to 8 weeks
- Phase 4: Design Administration - Depends on the Contractors availablity and schedule
For projects that are Whole or Partial Renovations and up, the typical timeline from the start of design work to the last paint brush is about 1 year.
5. How much does full service design cost?
We already covered that every Client and project are unique and it's very challenging to narrow down exactly without going through our Project Consultation. During this in-home meeting, Corey will met with you to discuss your design needs, requirements, budget, complexity and timeline. In about a week, he will met with you once again to present a Proposal for Design Services where we itemize your Scope of Design, Working Budget, Menu of Services, and Design Work Schedule.
As an inital guideline, we recommend setting aside an additional 10% to 20% for all creative services like us, Architectural Technologists, and Professional Engineers.
6. How do you calculate and bill full service design fees?
Aside from our Designer Concierge services, our Full Service Design fees are billed as a flat fee. We already covered that every Client and project are unique and it's very challenging to narrow down exactly without going through our Project Consultation.
We choose do things differenty at Corey Klassen Interior Design and bill design work by flat design fee at the beginning of the Conceptual Design and Design Execution phases. The fees are calculated by using the area we are working in multiplied by project complexity.
For the Design Administration phase, we provide pay-per-use rates so you only are charged for what you really need.
Otherwise, our services are all-inclusive with no mystery fees or hourly billing.
7. How do you handle cabinetry?
For full service design projects, all cabinetry design and purchasing goes through us.
You purchase cabinetry, functional accessories, decorative hardware, and anything else attached to the casework from us. If you would like to add-on counters, we can accomodate you easily. Although we do not always provide cabinet installation, your purchase price includes order management, factory quality inspections, delivery, receiving, on-site inspection, and the neccesary amounts of installation site visits to ensure a quality completion.
Over the past 8 years, we have found that when a different supplier (whom we are not familiar with) implements the cabinetry, there are mistakes and errors or extreme cost-cutting measures that do not fufill the design we worked on together.
8. How do you handle furniture and accessory product purchasing?
For full service design projects, all purchases go through us.
When you purchase furniture, window coverings and accessories from us, we include order management, scheduling, white-glove delivery, assembly and finished room styling. Our prices are very reasonable against other retailers that focus on only their products. Many of our products are to-the-trade only, meaning they are customized or modified and not available at retailers.
Over the last 8 years, we have found our process and we stick to it. Full Service Interior Design is a complete solution and piece-mealing purchasing does not work because it causes errors, mistakes, and much more time wasted on ours and your parts to correct them.
9. Do you work oustide of Metro Vancouver?
Usually we recommend using our sister company, Articulated Design Studio, for remote projects but there are situations where full-service is needed. If that's your project, then there is a remote rate that starts at $2,500 depending on your location and scope. We include our meals, travel, and accomodation. If this is of interest to you, please contact us for a seperate quotation.
10. Can you recommend Contractors for my project?
Absolutley we can recommend our preferred Contractor that we think are the best-fit for the project. From there, it will be up to you to find out if you can work with them by meeting with them directly.
There are so many added efficencies when working with our preferred list:
- We all understand (and like) each other
- We have done projects and business together before
- We communicate well together
- Decisions and issues on your project are resolved quickly, without an ego
You will be hiring the Contractor(s) independently, so it is important that all 3 of us work well together.
11. What do you need to start a design project?
- Existing plans of your space(s)
- A firm understanding of your budget
- Inspiration images of your dreams, we recommend +5 per room
- A completed Questionnaire
All our intial important questions are covered when you book your Project Discovery Call.
If you want to know more, please register and download our Start-up Checklist.
12. Why offer designer concierge service packages and full service?
We developed design packages in response to the ever shifting needs of our modern Clients. There are three factors in this business decision:
- Technology has been a large factor in our business direction. They have enabled us to offer different levels of services to respond to the need.
- We can already order food, cars, and goods from an app, and it will not be much longer before interior design services can be produced the same way.
- More and more Clients and business operate remotely.
We would be lying if we did not share the idea of working from a cabana on a beach of a remote island while still being able to fully service our Clients.
13. I am considering using an interior styling service at a retailer. Can you work with them?
In an industry where "free" design advice is solicited by retailers in-store, their recommendations do not completely focus on you but rather on their sales targets. By purchasing a design package from us you are receiving our professional opinion that is unbiased on product, manufacturer, or sales targets. We provide you design solutions that are unbiased and align to your personal goals to meet your form, function, budget, and timeline - all delivered in our Client Portal.
14. Can I come to your design studio?
We work from a home office in the West End of Vancouver, BC and controling our bottom line and fees starts with our enviromental outlook. We believe in sustainable business model, and, in conjunction with our unfancy economy car, we avoid printing, use tablets, and rely on digital presentation methods whenever possible.
15. Are you a registered business with insurance?
YES WE ARE! We are registered in the City of Vancouver, with federal and provincial authorities, and have errors & omissions insurance. All of our workers have WorksafeBC coverage.