How IKEA solved a problem on the #dunbarproject

IMG_3938
IMG_3938

Solving the problem of a functional kitchen in a high-end neighbourhood that didn't break the bank was resolved a couple of ways. First, we kept all the existing openings and that is why there are two windows on the sink run of odd shapes. We also kept the existing foundation so that left us with a super low ceiling height of 80" - right at building code. We re-used the island & counter from the original up-stairs kitchen, a good example of up-cycling, but just had it re-painted (forgive the dishwasher door not being on, these aren't the final photographs.)

One part that we struggled with in this kitchen was actually cabinetry, believe it or not. I find it odd saying that because it's usually the part I have the least problems with. The key part about the cabinetry was finding a style that fit the existing island, and then finding a price point that worked for an income suite. Enter IKEA.

This is the first time that I've specified IKEA casework for any of my kitchens, and this is probably the most budget kitchen that I've ever done. All in all, after appliances, this kitchen came in at around $12,000. Not bad, but keep in mind that doesn't include the design time or construction costs.

To make this project work, I used the RAMJSÖ door style in black-brown, paired with ABSTRAKT in high-gloss white. You might be wondering about that corner wood cabinet, well, that's actually a NUMERÄR wood countertop cut-down on-site. The flooring is Evoke Luxury Vinyl in Christy, and the countertop is good old Wilsonart Frosty White. Pair that with the ceiling, walls, and casings all being Benjamin Moore OC-64 Pure White, I think that this kitchen feels much larger than it actually is. And yes, there is a Blanco sink in here too.

So big thanks to the guys at Fifth Element Construction & Renovations Ltd. for making this little project sing. I can hardly wait for the photo-shoot this weekend!