This new Conservative Government continues to disappoint Canadian's and the International heath community with it's ineptitude to understand the urgent heath implications of Crystalline Asbestos. Prime Minister Harper's inability to add Crystalline Asbestos to the Hazardous Chemicals List (Annex 3 of the Rotterdam Convention) in Geneva this past week proves that he wishes ill-will to all humans. The Canadian Government (who does not represent this Canadian by any means) claims that Asbestos can be used safely. (Source)
[needle scratching on a LP record]
Wait. Maybe that statement needs some back-up facts:
- Asbestos poses health risks only when fibres are in the air that people breathe. Asbestos fibres lodge in the lungs, causing scarring that can ultimately lead to severely impaired lung function (asbestosis) and cancers of the lungs or lung cavity. - Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation
- When asbestos-containing materials are damaged or disturbed by repair, remodeling or demolition activities, microscopic fibers become airborne and can be inhaled into the lungs, where they can cause significant health problems. - U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- The EU has banned the use, extraction, and processing of Asbestos
- The American EPA banned all new uses of Asbestos since 1989, old uses are still approved
- Up until 2000, Asbestos appeared in crayons thru talc - Cancer.gov
- In 60-70% of Mesothelioma (lung cancer) diagnosis, people (mostly men) worked in the Asbestos Industry (including the Construction Industry) - B.C. Cancer Agency
But for some reason, all North American cancer agencies continue to soften their approach to the harmfulness of Asbestos by using words like "may cause" or "may lead to increased risk of" of "smokers exposed to the chemical may be more likely to".
Do you agree with me? There is no current petition running, so contact the Canadian Health Minister.
The Honourable Leona Aglukkaq, P.C., M.P. Health Canada Brooke Claxton Building, Tunney's Pasture Postal Locator: 0906C Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0K9
Here's what I wrote:
Dear Honorable Minister,
I am writing to you to urge the Government to ban the use of and export of Crystalline Asbestos and indeed make a bold move to claim Asbestos as a known Carcinogen.
Asbestos is not a safe material because we Canadians are not using is safely. We are exporting it to countries where those people are dying of complications due to the handling of Asbestos. This barely falls legally short of slave labour and ethnic cleansing.
60-70% of all Mesothelioma diagnosis are Canadians, mostly men, who are in some way or form connected with the Asbestos Industry. This includes, but is not limited to, the construction industry.
If you continue support the use and export of Asbestos, I urge to you go to countries where we've exported the unsafe material and work with them for a day in a gesture of good faith to prove to us Canadians that no-harm will come to you.
Corey S. Klassen, AKBD BFA